Instructors: Paul Stevens and Simon Ball
Description: This is an expedition type course that will teach or revise intermediate skills including:
- Placing gear, snow anchors, and snow stakes on snow, ice or rock.
- Multi pitching and rope transitions.
- Glacier travel and rescue techniques.
- Route selection through intermediate terrain.
- Winter camping and expedition skills.
This course will be based in Arthurs Pass Staying at Kennedy Lodge with a night or 2 camping or snow caving in the surrounding area.
Pre-requisites: An Avalanche Awareness or Back Country Avalanche course. Have experience in alpine terrain using crampons & ice axes, minimum 5 alpine trips on grade 1 or 2 terrain. Comfortable familiarity with lead belaying and lead rock climbing. The following knots should be revised: figure of eight, alpine butterfly, clove hitch, Italian hitch, double fisherman. Prepare in advance by going through the Intermediate Mountaineering videos.
Date: Friday Morning 22nd September – 26th September
2 in stock